Anyone who knows me well, knows that I can't stand reading. As much as I have wanted to be that person who sits for hours, snuggled up by the fire with an award winning novel or fantasy, based in a far off kingdom, I just can't bring myself to do it. On the other hand, I have always enjoyed a good biography. I don't know what it is but I just love learning about the lives of real people and what they have left behind.
A few months ago, while I was feeling a random urge to force reading to become a hobby, I found a biography about Amelia Earnhart stashed on the shelf. I thought I would give it a try. Over the next weeks, I just couldn't get myself to stop reading! I was amazed at all this woman did and the daring adventures she took again and again in makeshift planes during the early 20th century.
After completing my book, Anthony surprised me with a date to the air show at Hill Air Force Base. At first I was a little skeptical, since the last thing I had read about Air Shows was the crash last year in Reno. It turned out to be quite an adventure!
 |
| As soon as we arrived, it started pouring buckets... literally. We first found shelter under a 747 (never thought I would stand under one of those monsters) but eventually found a comfy chair to share in a hanger). We decided to wait it out for the show.... we couldn't miss this! |
 |
| After 2 and 1/2 hours they finally said it was safe to carry on with the show! Rev up the engines... on your mark, get set, take off!! Luckily, we had an awesome view of the show since all the crowds fled by the thousands when the storm hit. |
 |
| waiting for the show to start... those are the mighty thunderbirds behind me! |
 |
| The Thunderbirds were amazing! |
 |
| My favorite act was the "Heritage Flight". A modern F16 flying next to the P52 Mustang from World War II. It was so patriotic and so amazing to see how far things have come in 70 years. I can't believe 19 year old boys would fight battles in those little machines! Pretty courageous! |
 |
| The Thunderbirds flying in the traditional diamond formation. |
 |
What a great final chapter to my biography on Amelia Earhart! Thanks for the awesome date, Anth! |
Hey Megan! Gosh I never hear from you. Thought I would check out your blog and see what you've been up to! Sure miss you!
ReplyDelete